Huron-Kinloss is a township of about 6800 people (2011) in Bruce County, Ontario. It is composed of several small communities: Amberley, Bruce Beach, Blair’s Grove, Clarks Church, Clover Valley, Holyrood, Kinlough, Langside, Lower Langside, Lucknow, Lurgan Beach, Pine River, Point Clark, Purple Grove, Reid’s Corners, Ripley, Verdun, and Whitechurch. Ripley (pop. 600) and Lucknow (pop. 1100) are the main population centres.
Huron-Kinloss is a primarily rural region of farmland and woodlots. The lakeshore is sparsely populated with the village of Point Clark at the south end and Boiler Beach at the north end, and seasonal and permanent cottages along the shore in between.
The township depends heavily on agriculture and agricultural services, and some food processing such as the Pine River cheese factory. Some residents work in nearby Kincardine or Goderich. The Bruce Nuclear Generating Station in the communities of Inverhuron and Tiverton, is the largest area employer. Tourism is also important to the area.
The region is popular with retirees, with a lake-moderated mild climate and a reputation for a relaxed, friendly lifestyle.
Ripley is almost in the heart of the Township of Huron-Kinloss and is now the municipal seat for the amalgamated communities of the Village of Lucknow, and Kinloss and Ripley-Huron Townships. The former Ripley Township Hall was renovated and expanded in 1997 to house the new township’s municipal offices.
The former township of Kinloss has become home to hundreds of Mennonite families. They work their small family farms, operate windmills by the farmhouses and farm businesses. You will likely meet a few horse-drawn buggies on your travels. At the farm gates, they often sell fresh produce, flowers, and crafted items.
Point Clark is a pretty residential community tucked into the shoreline. A quiet, sandy beach is adjacent to the lighthouse tower. Lighthouse Park is equipped with playground equipment and washrooms. Point Clark also has a small harbour and boat launch ramp. Four nature trails -the Point Clark Greenway Project- are accessible at various points throughout Point Clark. Cross country skiing during the winter months is a popular activity.
Ripley: Evicted from their crofts on Lewis Island, the Outer Hebrides, Scotland, 109 families settled in Ripley and area to work the land here. Named after a town in Derbyshire, England, the post office opened in 1857. The completion of the Wellington, Grey and Bruce Railway in 1873 placed Ripley on the business map. By 1886, Ripley was a thriving community with a variety of businesses and churches serving the area’s farmers.
Lucknow: was named after a town in India where, in 1857, a vicious battle took place between the besieging native rebels and the liberating British army. Horrendous tales of the Indian Mutiny, as it was called, reached even the Canadian wilderness. Several Lucknow streets bear the names of some of the British generals involved in the Indian Mutiny: Ross, Outram, Havelock, Willoughby, Rose and Canning.
Point Clark: Point Clark’s imperial lighthouse tower warns sailors of the dangers of the reefs about 2 miles off the Lake Huron shoreline. The lantern was first lit in 1859.
Ripley is 230 km west of Toronto (3hr 10min by car).
Can-ar Coach has one bus a day from Toronto to Bervie (3 hr 58 min, $35-55). From Bervie, Ripley is 11 min by taxi ($30-40).