Lemuel Boulter was the original owner of the land that the village of Hayesville was formed. Boulter sold his interest in the land to Linus Hayes. The first settlers came to the Hayesville area in 1817. A post office for the settlers was established in 1827 at Hayes Cross Roads. Hayesville was laid out in Vermillion Township and plots were recorded in Mansfield, Ohio on October 26, 1830. The village was named after Linus Hayes, proprietor. Hayes Cross Roads was later renamed Hayesville. The village of Hayesville was incorporated in 1849.
Hayesville is located at 40°46′26″N82°15′42″W (40.773853, -82.261753).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.74 square miles (1.92 km2), all land.
Hayesville Ohio Townhall-Old Opera House