Kiawah Island is a city in Charleston County, South Carolina
- Rent a car at the airport and drive to Kiawah following the directions below starting from I-526,
- Taxi (typically costs $62 to get to the Kiawah Island main gate), or
- Allow the Kiawah Island Golf Resort to coordinate transit from executive transportation providers. Call (843)412-4971. (Rates start at $95 for two guests).
Chartered flights have access to Charleston Executive Airport (JZI IATA), a small airport located 18 miles from Kiawah Island on neighboring John’s Island.
To drive to Kiawah Island:
- Take Interstate 95 to 26 East.
- I-526 West towards Savannah.
- At the end of the interstate, turn right onto Savannah Highway/US 17 South.
- Continue on US 17 South for five miles. At the 5th traffic light, turn left onto Main Road. (Landmark is the BP Gas Station on far corner).
- Continue on Main Road for 15 miles (it becomes Betsey Kerrison Parkway), after which you will arrive at a circle.
- Stay in left lane as you enter the circle and go 3/4 way around to exit onto Kiawah Island Parkway.
- Once on the island, you will pass through the security gate (stay in the left lane).
- If you are heading to The Sanctuary, drive 2 miles past the gate and turn right at the sign for The Sanctuary.
It is a good idea to have your own transportation although the island does offer a shuttle service. There is an Enterprise car rental at Charleston airport. Visitors can travel by car across the island’s well-maintained roads and to nearby locations outside of Kiawah.
While on the island though, bicycles are a popular mode of transportation. 30 miles of paved bike paths and 10 miles of hard-packed sand beaches allow visitors to easily traverse Kiawah Island by bike.