The Paris Theatre was a cinema and theatre located on the corner of Wentworth Avenue and Liverpool Street in Sydney that showed films and vaudeville, cabaret and plays. The theatre changed names several times, trading as Australia Picture Palace (1915-1935), Tatler Theatre (1935-1950), Park Theatre (1952-1954) and Paris Theatre (1954-1981) before being demolished in 1981. In May 1978 the theatre hosted a film festival that inspired the first Sydney Gay Mardi Gras. The theatre was also the home of Paris Theatre Company, a Sydney based theatre company.
Located at 205-207 Liverpool Street, Sydney on the corner of Wentworth Avenue, the architect was Walter Burley Griffin The theatre was a reinforced concrete building with relief stucco paneling. It was demolished in 1981.
The Australia Picture Palace designed by Walter Burley Griffin was built in 1915 for Hoyt’s Theatres Ltd and opened on 7 January 1916.
In 1935, the theatre was renovated and renamed the Tatler Theatre. On 5 August 1943 Austral American Productions began showing first-run Warner Brothers films in an exclusive arrangement.
In 1952 Hoyts purchased the theatre and it was renamed the Park Theatre.
The theatre was renovated in 1954 and renamed the Paris Theatre.
From 21–27 May 1978, 900 people attended Sydney’s first gay film festival at the Paris Theatre. One of the films, Word is Out, inspired Ron Austin, a member of CAMP, with the idea of a street party which later became the first Mardi Gras in June of that year.
Some notable performances at the theatre included
- 20 November 1977 Rose Tattoo
- 27 November 1977 Cold Chisel
- August 1978 Louis Nowra play, Visions, opened.
- 28 November 1979 Boys Own MacBeth
- 20 December 1980 INXS