Adventist Review is the general paper of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Founded in 1849, it is published monthly by the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. Adventist Review also publishes a sister magazine, Adventist World, and the youth-oriented KidsView. The editorial offices of the publication are headquartered at the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists in Silver Spring, Maryland. The current editor of Adventist Review is Bill Knott. The magazine currently has nearly 30,000 paying subscribers. Its library reference number is
The Adventist Review was founded by James and Ellen White in July 1849 as The Present Truth, but the name was changed to The Advent Review and then Second Advent Review and Sabbath Herald (with variations) after being combined with the Advent Herald publication. The name was changed to Adventist Review in 1978. Throughout its history many Adventists have referred to as the Review.
It is known that for certain copies of the earliest issues, 1000 or 2000 copies were printed. In the 1940s paid circulation passed 40,000; and exceeded 50,000 in the 1950s. In 1963 the circulation reached 96,000, but has since diminished. In January 1994 circulation was 250,000 for the first issue of each month, and 40,000 for other issues.
During the 1990s the magazine rotated through four different editions that had regular and feature articles focusing on different church issues and spiritual matters – the North American Division edition, Crosswalk edition, AnchorPoints edition, and Cutting Edge edition. These different editions were phased out with the introduction of Adventist World magazine.
An estimated 33% of Adventists have access to the Review, according to a 2002 worldwide survey of local church leaders.
For more historical information, see the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia, the history article Our Roots and Mission by William Johnsson, or the archives listed in “External links” below.