Denbigh (Welsh: Dinbych) is a picturesque market town and one of the most historic towns in North Wales. Dinbych in Welsh means “little fortress” and the remains of the historic Denbigh Castle dominate the skyline of the town. It is the birthplace of explorer Henry Morton Stanley.
The town’s railway station closed in 1963, today the closest railway station can be found in Rhyl, some 12 miles north of Denbigh, from Rhyl a regular direct bus service goes to Denbigh from the bus stand outside Rhyl railway station. Also regular direct bus service to and from Mold (Yr Wyddgrug), Corwen / Ruthin (Rhuthun) and from Wrexham (Wrecsam) 3 times a day. Traveline Cymru is great for planning journey with public transport.
Denbigh is easily reached by car, as it is only 6 miles from North Wales main road the A55, take exit marked St Asaph and then follow signs for Denbigh. Denbigh is 40 minutes from Chester, 1 hr 30 from Liverpool and approx 1 hr 50 minutes from Manchester.
Denbigh is a small town, and you can easily walk everywhere in the town.
- 1 Denbigh Castle. Summer:- 1st April to 31st October 10.00 to 17.00. built as part of Edward I’s 13th century campaigns against the Welsh. The castle’s finest feature is its striking triple-towered Great Gatehouse bearing the unmistakable stamp of Master James of St George, the architectural genius responsible for all of Edward’s major North Wales castles. Good for Ghost hunters, as the castle is haunted!! Adults £3.00, Reduced rate £2.60..
- Town Walls. Stetching almost 3/4 of a mile, built around the castle. the eastern section, defended by the Countess Tower and Goblin Tower, is particularly fine.
- Leicester’s Church. Remains of the only large new church built in the reign of Elizabeth I. Begun by Robert Dudley, earl of Leicester, in 1578
- St Hillary’s Chapel. Built about 1300 as a chapel to serve the new town. The tower and a short section of the west wall survive.
- 1 Denbigh Friary. Now an ancient monument, it was founded in the late 13th Century by the Carmelite order. The buildings were changed to houses during the Dissolution and the church used as a wool store.
- Eglwys Wen. less than one mile from the town for which it was the parish church throughout the medieval period, oldest part of church from the 14th century. Grave of local author Twm or Nant and other of Denbigh greats are here.
- 1 North Wales Hospital (Denbigh Asylum). The North Wales Lunatic Asylum was the first psychiatric institution built in Wales; construction began in 1844 and completed in 1848 in the town of Denbigh. The U-shaped Tudorbethain style hospital was built due to the spreading word of mistreatment of Welsh people in English asylums; The North Wales Hospital would be a haven for Welsh speaking residents to seek treatment without prejudice or a language barrier, but it was closed in sections from 1991 to 2002 and is now derelict.On October 31, 2008, Living TV’s Most Haunted did a live series, The Village of the Damned on location in the North Wales Hospital which spanned over the course of a week. The producers of the show were criticized by residents of Denbigh for slurs against the town and the hospital.On 22 November 2008, during work to renovate the building site and convert it to apartments and residential properties, the building caught fire; it was later confirmed that the main hall of the hospital was destroyed. Arson is suspected
- Evan Pierce Monument, Vale Street. Monument to local Doctor Evan Pierce. Recently renovated, nice place to relax.
- Denbigh Library, Museum and Gallery. once the Market Hall building. The museum interprets the history of Denbigh showing its origins as a mediaeval settlement and its development as a cultural and industrial centre. Items featured include the town’s mediaeval charters, interpretation of the castle and town walls, civic robes and silverware and an audio-visual presentation. There are temporary exhibitions, drawing on the museum collections and those of local collectors. There is also an extensive medical collection and artefacts from the former Denbigh mental hospital. Material from the Denbighshire Record Office supplements the collection. Free Entry.
- St Mary’s Church. The town’s civic church was built in 1874 and contains several important features including a tapestry from 1530.
- Capel Mawr. Built as the town’s Calvanistic Methodist chapel in 1800.
- Capel Lôn Swan. Denbigh’s oldest chapel which was founded in 1742 and rebuilt in the 1830s.
- Capel Pendref. Wales’ first purpose-built Wesleyan chapel built in 1804.
- Bronyffynon. Now a doctors’ surgery, the building appears 18th century but conservation work revealed a medieval garderrobe and arch trusses from the late 1500s.
- 21-23 High Street. 21 High St is shown on maps as far back as 1611. 23 High St is of medieval origin but of late Georgian appearance, including the colonnade of Tuscan columns.
- Llys Gwenllian. is an earthwork motte and bailey fortress, standing against the steep slope to the Afon Ystrad. The low ditched polygonal motte and the large rectangular bailey platform, are surrounded by a ditch, with the remains of a counterscarp bank.
- Gwaenynog Hall. Gwaenynog Hall has had many famous visitors over the centuries, including Dr Samuel Johnson and Beatrix Potter. It was here that the Flopsy Bunnies lived and where Mr McGregor’s shed is sited. The gardens are opened to the public in the summer months.
- Gwasg Gee. was one of the principal publishers of Welsh language books for almost two centuries. It ceased publishing in 2001, housed in grade 2 listed building.