Grifton is a town in Pitt and Lenoir counties, North Carolina, United States. The population was 2,617 at the 2010 census. The Pitt County portion of the town is a part of the GreenvilleMetropolitan Area located in North Carolina’s Inner Banks region.
Settlement in the area dates back to 1756 when the locale was known as Peter’s Ferry. By 1764 it was known as Blount’s Ford. In the 1800s Warren Bell, Inc. operated a ferry at the location, and the town was known as Bell’s Ferry. It was incorporated under that name in 1883. The name was formally changed to Griffton six years later to honor local merchant C. M. A. Griffin. Soon thereafter it became styled as Grifton.
Grifton is located on the southern edge of Pitt County at 35°22′30″N77°26′2″W (35.375129, -77.433860), mostly on the northeast side of Contentnea Creek, which forms the county line. A small portion of the town is on the southwest side of the creek in Lenoir County. North Carolina Highway 11 passes just west of the town, leading north 18 miles (29 km) to Greenville, the Pitt county seat, and southwest 12 miles (19 km) to Kinston, the Lenoir county seat.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,073 people, 812 households, and 583 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,209.4 people per square mile (468.1/km2). There were 1,092 housing units at an average density of 637.1 per square mile (246.6/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 63.24% White, 33.19% African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.05% Asian, 0.24% Pacific Islander, 2.32% from other races, and 0.77% from two or more races. 4.73% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.