Because Hackettstown is relatively smaller geographically than most other municipalities in the area, some of the attractions listed here could legally be in the municipalities of Mansfield (Route 57), Independence (New Jersey) (517/46), Allamuchy (517/Waterloo Rd.) or Washington Township, Morris County (Route 46), but most are in or are close to walking distance from Hackettstown. These townships are considerably less developed. Most of the commercial development of the townships are located near the Hackettstown border.
Hackettstown Station is the last stop on the NJ Transit Montclair-Boonton and Morris-Essex lines. Once you get to the Dover station, trains can be found that take you to Morristown, Hoboken and Newark and New York City.
There 7 trains a day to and from Hackettstown
New Jersey Transit has a shuttle service, known as Wheels 973, that usually has two small buses going in a loop around town from 8AM to 6PM, M-F.
- The Route 80 exits 26, 25 and 19 are all between 5 and 10 minutes driving time north of Hackettstown.
- From Exit 26 take Route 46 West through Mt. Olive and Washington Township until it turns into Main Street, Hackettstown.
- From Exit 25, going North, turn right into the International Trade Center and follow the signs for Waterloo Village. Make a right onto Continental Drive, and then, at the end of that road, turn left onto Waterloo Road, which turns into Willow Grove Road when it comes up toward Hackettstown.
- Via Exit 19, turn left towards Panther Valley. Follow County Road 517 several miles until you get to Hackettstown.
- County Road 517 goes south through Schooley’s Mountain and connects with route 78 at Exit 24, also known as Oldwick, Whitehouse in Tewksbury, Hunterdon County
- Route 57 goes southwest through Washington and on towards Phillipsburg.
- Route 46 goes Northwest past Main St., through Great Meadows, Independence and on towards Belvidere until it ends at the Delaware River bridge crossing to Portland, Pennsylvania.