In 1856, the town of Franklin was founded by an enterprising gentleman named Andrew George, who established the town fourteen miles south of Sacramento on Lower Stockton Road. Now known as Franklin Boulevard, this had been the main road from Sutter’s Fort to the Mexican capital of Monterey. During the Gold Rush, this road became the stage route to Stockton.
George did not originally name the town Franklin, as it is known today. He called it “Georgetown”, after himself, and the post office there was known by that name. The hotel he built was, however, given the name “Franklin House” in honor of his mother’s family, the Franklins.
Since the district’s creation in 1959, Franklin Elementary School had been the only school located in the town of Franklin. Franklin High School was opened in 2002 in the new East Franklin area. Franklin High School has graduated students every year since the class of 2005.
Franklin High School shares its campus with Toby Johnson Middle School and the Franklin Community Library. As well as their academic program, Franklin High School offers the STEAM academy, the GREEN academy, AVID, the athletic department, and Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA).
In 2009 and 2010, Franklin won both individual and team awards including Moot Court, Academic Decathlon, Science Olympiad, National History Day, and Mathletes.
Since its establishment in 2002, Franklin High School has had five different principals.
- Ms. Christina Penna 2002-2003
- Dr. Odie Douglas 2003-2005
- Ms. Charlotte Phinizy 2005–December 2011
- Mr. Michael Reed January 2012 – June 2014
- Ms. Chantelle Albiani July 2014 – present