Oxelösund

This article or section may benefit from translation from the article on Swedish Wikivoyage. If you can help translate, please do!

Oxelösund is a town in Södermanland, at Sweden‘s coast to the Baltic Sea. It is a rather young city, with 11,000 inhabitants, built around the port and the steel mill, in the vicinity of Nyköping.

. . . Oxelösund . . .

Map of Oxelösund

Oxelösund has a fairly young history. While its natural harbor has been used for at least 500 years, the settlement was founded in 1900. When it became necessary to build a railroad to transport products from mining and smelting region of Bergslagen in central Sweden directly to the Baltic Sea, the choice fell on Oxelösund.

Industrial Group Traffic AB Grängesberg-Oxelösund (TGO; best known as Granges) formed in 1873 the railway company OFWJ (Oxelosund Flen-Västmanlands Railway), later TGOJ (Traffic Grängesberg-Oxelösunds railways). The company bought almost the entire Oxelosund Peninsula, which then belonged to the estates of the Stjärnholm Castle, to eventually be able to build the facilities they needed. The existing of Oxelösund was at this time entirely insignificant – it had grown up thanks to the port, railway and steelworks which was added somewhat later (1913).

At the beginning of the 1950s Oxelösund was a typical Swedish town with wooden houses and lush gardens. As one of the last communities in Sweden Oxelösund became city in 1950. The local population then totalled 5200 people. The business community was strongly influenced by the industry, and the largest employer was the iron works with about 700 workers.

A milestone in the resort development became Granges Group’s decision in 1955 to buy a majority share in Oxelösund Ironworks AB (SSAB Oxelösund today).

Old Oxelösund was removed to make space for the new steelworks but there are still a few houses left offering the glimpse of 1920s. A brand new center was built as well as a highway from Nykoping into the city (Highway 53), and in 1957 inaugurated the characteristic St. Botvids Church. Overall, Oxelosund today is dominated by the 50th century transformation of the port, ironworks and a homogeneous 1950s buildings.

In 1962 a coastal artillery battery was built on the Femöre peninsula to defend the important harbor.

Oxelösund’s municipality, Oxelösunds kommun, has a remarkably small land area. Most of the surrounding countryside belongs to Nyköping.

. . . Oxelösund . . .

This article is issued from web site Wikivoyage. The original article may be a bit shortened or modified. Some links may have been modified. The text is licensed under “Creative Commons – Attribution – Sharealike” [1] and some of the text can also be licensed under the terms of the “GNU Free Documentation License” [2]. Additional terms may apply for the media files. By using this site, you agree to our Legal pages . Web links: [1] [2]

. . . Oxelösund . . .

© 2022 The Grey Earl INFO - WordPress Theme by WPEnjoy