Piura is the capital city of the region of Piura in northern Peru. It’s a bit bustly and not overly beautiful, yet still has an attractive air, and is a great place to gobble down some tasty Peruvian cuisine.
The airport (PIU IATA) has flights to Chiclayo and Lima. Airlines come and go frequently, LATAM seems to have the strongest hold. Avianca also has cheap flights to Lima. Flights leave around 06:30, 14:00, and another later in the evening.
ITTSA has luxury buses to:
- Trujillo 7 hours (S/30 in Semi-cama, S/40 in Sofa-Cama)
- Lima 17 hours (S/90 in Semi-cama, S/120 in Sofa-Cama)
Bus lines that run to the north include EPPO and El Dorado.
Some wonderful colonial architecture, gorgeous plazas and parks, a large market, and a museum are found in Piura.
- Plaza del Sol Shopping Center, Cusco, Ayacucho y Huancavelica (1 block west of Main Square, in the city center). Has cinemas (Cineplanet), a food court, shops, two department stores (Ripley and Saga Falabella) and ATMs Globalnet/BCP Cajero Automático.
- C.C. Plaza de la Luna, Esquina Grau con Gullman. Has cinemas (UVK Multicines), a food court, shops, a supermarket Metro and automatic cashiers.
- C.C. Real Plaza Piura, Av. Sánchez Cerro 234 esq. Av. Vice – Zona Industrial Piura. Has cinemas (Cineplanet), a food court, shops, a supermarket (Plaza Vea), two department stores (Ripley and Oechsle), a homecenter (Promart) and automatic cashiers.
- C.C. Open Plaza Piura, Av. Andrés Avelino Cáceres S/N esq. Av. Guillermo Irazola – Urb. Miraflores – Castilla. Has cinemas (Cinemark), a food court, shops, a supermarket (TOTTUS), a department store (Saga Falabella), a homecenter (Sodimac) and automatic cashiers.