He represented Russia at the 2008 Summer Paralympics in Beijing, winning two gold medals in the 200 metre freestyle and 100 metre freestyle events. Kokarev competes in the S2 disability category, for athletes with severe disabilities. He set a world record in the S2 200 metres (660 ft) freestyle, with a time of 4:45.43. His time in the 100 metres (330 ft) event was 2:19.39.
- “Russian Dmitry Kokarev won gold medal at the Paralympics Games in Beijing”. The Voice of Russia. Archived from the original on November 2, 2009. Retrieved September 9, 2008.
- “Swimming Day 1 Review: World and Paralympic records flood the Water Cube”. Xinhua. Archived from the original on September 10, 2008. Retrieved September 7, 2008.
- “Swimmer celebrate successful morning in the pool”. SportFocus. Retrieved September 8, 2008.
- Dmitrii Kokarev at the International Paralympic Committee
- Dmitrii Kokarev at IPC.InfostradaSports.com