The Eyes of Tammy Faye is a 2021 American biographical drama film based on the documentary of the same name by Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato. Directed by Michael Showalter and written by Abe Sylvia, the film depicts the controversial history of televangelists Tammy Faye Bakker and Jim Bakker, portrayed by Jessica Chastain (who also produces the film) and Andrew Garfield, respectively. Cherry Jones, Fredric Lehne, Louis Cancelmi, Sam Jaeger, Gabriel Olds, Mark Wystrach and Vincent D’Onofrio also star.
The Eyes of Tammy Faye had its world premiere at the 2021 Toronto International Film Festival in September 2021, and was released on September 17, 2021 by Searchlight Pictures. The film grossed $2.4 million and received mixed reviews from the critics, who praised the performances but criticized the screenplay.
An intimate look at the extraordinary rise, fall and redemption of televangelist Tammy Faye Bakker.
- Jessica Chastain as Tammy Faye Bakker
- Chandler Head as Young Tammy Faye
- Andrew Garfield as Jim Bakker
- Cherry Jones as Rachel LaValley
- Vincent D’Onofrio as Jerry Falwell
- Fredric Lehne as Fred Grover
- Louis Cancelmi as Richard Fletcher
- Sam Jaeger as Roe Messner
- Gabriel Olds as Pat Robertson
- Mark Wystrach as Gary Paxton
- Jay Huguley as Jimmy Swaggart
- Randy Havens as Steve Pieters
- Jess Weixler as Makeup Artist (voice)
It was announced in May 2019 that Jessica Chastain and Andrew Garfield were cast to star in the film, with Michael Showalter directing. Chastain detailed in an August 2019 interview she had acquired the rights to Tammy Faye Bakker’s life in 2012. Chastain will also be doing her own singing in the film. In October 2019, Cherry Jones joined the cast of the film. In November 2019, Sam Jaeger, Vincent D’Onofrio, Gabriel Olds, Mark Wystrach, Chandler Head, Fredric Lehne and Jay Huguley joined the cast of the film.