Port Wakefield is a town at the top of the Yorke Peninsula.
The town is situated immediately to the east of the Wakefield River, at the head of Gulf St Vincent.
The first European to visit the site of the town was Matthew Flinders. He reached the head of the gulf in 1802, and named the gulf it after Admiral Lord St Vincent.
The town was selected a ideal for a port for the movement of copper, and huge quantities of ore passed through the town in the mid 19th century. However, the railway line reached the area around 10 years after the port was established, and the transport of copper mainly switched to rail. There was some continuing use of the port for agriculture, but Port Wakefield became an agricultural service town during the 20th century, with a small but developing tourism industry.
Many know Port Wakefield today as a road stop on the highway out of Adelaide towards Port Augusta, Yorke Peninsula, Eyre Peninsula, Flinders Ranges, the Outback (South Australia), Northern Territory and Western Australia. However, there is a small town off the highway, with some interesting sights to see.
- Copper Coast Visitor Information Centre, Kadina (The Farm Shed Museum & Tourism Centre), 50 Moonta Road, Kadina, SA 5554, toll-free: 1800 654 991, fax: +61 8 8821 4633, e-mail: email@example.com. M-F 9AM – 5PM; Sa & Su 10AM – 4PM.
- Port Wakefield Information Outlet, Highway One, Port Wakefield, SA 5550.