Caraguatatuba

Caraguatatuba is a beach town in the Brazilian state of São Paulo. It is often referred to as simply Caraguá.

. . . Caraguatatuba . . .

The city’s name comes from the Tupi language and refers to the abundance of caraguatá, a spiny bromeliad native to the area. Caraguatatuba is the largest city on the São Paulo north shore and is a jetsetter of high society of São Paulo in the summer the city becomes one of the biggest hotspots in the country with more than 1.5 million tourists. The urban area and farmlands are within the coastline and valley areas, while the majority of its northern bounds are heavily forested and few roads reach the area.

  • From São Paulo on Litorânea bus company, departing from Tietê Bus Terminal. R$34.60, 3 hours.
  • From São José dos Campos on Litorânea from the main bus terminal. R$19.30. Hourly departures.
  • From Ubatuba and São Sebastião on Litorãnea or Praiamar bus lines, from the main bus terminal or any bus stop along the way.

The Praça Dr. Candido Motta is the site of several historical monuments, big and small, which are protected by municipal law.

  • Imperial Palms. In 1941, with the completion of construction of the primary school, at the request of then-Mayor Braulio Pereira Barreto, two Imperial Palms were planted in the grounds of the former School Group, whose building today houses the Pólo Cultural Adaly Coelho Passos. There are only one palm tree hw, which measures more than 20 meters high, and is appreciated by the passerby. The other, located on the street corner with Paul Harris street, fell in March 2010, due to strong winds on two consecutive days, which according to official sources, reached 120 km/h. 
  • Church of St. Anthony. Began as a chapel in the 17th century. Since then, it has been elevated to the category of parish church and has been continually upgraded. 
  • Obelisk – Tap. This obelisk commemorates the start of a new phase of sanitation in Caraguatatuba, with distribution of piped water, though untreated, which was inaugurated by the President of the State of São Paulo, Altino Arantes, in 1919. 
  • 1st Centennial Monument – Sundial. The monument was part of the celebrations of the first centenary of the city. Commissioned to engineer Accacio Villalva, in 1957. It’s another obelisk, with a needle-shaped base, measuring three meters high, fitted with a sundial. 
  • Bandstand. The first bandstand was built in the 1930s by Dona Belmira Nepomuceno. The small square needed a space for presentations of popular festivities. In 1971, the management of the then Mayor Silvio Luiz dos Santos, the old bandstand was demolished and replaced by a new one. In 2005 it was again renovated, gaining a new look. Every reform aimed to preserve one of the most important historical sites of the city that for decades has been the meeting place of the community, where there are many cultural events such as the presentation of the Municipal Band Carlos Gomes. 
  • Musical Luminous Fountain (Fonte Luminosa). Inaugurated in the 1960s, by then Mayor Geraldo Nogueira da Silva. 

. . . Caraguatatuba . . .

This article is issued from web site Wikivoyage. The original article may be a bit shortened or modified. Some links may have been modified. The text is licensed under “Creative Commons – Attribution – Sharealike” [1] and some of the text can also be licensed under the terms of the “GNU Free Documentation License” [2]. Additional terms may apply for the media files. By using this site, you agree to our Legal pages . Web links: [1] [2]

. . . Caraguatatuba . . .

© 2022 The Grey Earl INFO - WordPress Theme by WPEnjoy